Coming out in the open for the first time, a nun who was allegedly raped during the recent communal violence in Orissa on Friday demanded a CBI probe into the incident, charging the state police with being "friendly" with the attackers.
The nun, addressing her first press conference two days after the Supreme Court ruled out a CBI inquiry into the August 25 incident but asked her to cooperate with the state police in the investigation, alleged that the Orissa police did not take her statement and even pressurised her not to file the FIR against the attackers.
"They tried their best to ensure that I do not file the FIR....I was raped and I do not want to be victimised. I want a CBI probe," said the nun, who had disappeared soon after the incident in Kandhamal district.
Questioning the Orissa police's neutrality, she said the cops were "very friendly with the attackers" and even "warned her of consequences" of filing an FIR against them.
"I narrated everything to the police, how I was attacked, raped. However, the police did not help me," the nun said recounting her ordeal.
"Even police feared to give me shelter in the police station," she claimed.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday declined to hand over to CBI the investigation into the case. An apex court bench noted that the victim had left the area and was refusing to participate in the Test Identification Parade, though nine people had been arrested in connection with the alleged rape.
The Archbishop of Cuttack had in a petition sought Rs three crore compensation for demolition of churches in the anti-Christian riots in Orissa, while seeking a CBI inquiry into attacks on Christians.
Friday, October 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment